Sunday, November 20, 2005

Posting In Pittsburgh


For the past two days I have been in Pittsburgh attending the annual NCTE convention. This morning I presented a paper, my first, which was quite an experience. Though I was nervous at the time, I enjoyed the experience considerably. The feedback I received was helpful, and the experience undoubtedly contributed to my growth as a graduate student. It was interesting to read my peers' work, and talk with them about it. If nothing else, doing so allowed me to situate my own work in relation to that of other graduate students, which was helpful.

Though I stayed relatively busy, I was able to take some time to see the city (a first), and I was actually quite impressed. It had a more urban feel than I expected, and the architectural designs of several older buildings were absolutely stunning. Many of the buildings were decorated with gargoyles and other strange creatures, which was interesting as well. I suspect that it would be quite enlightening to tour the city with an architect.

In addition to its fine buildings, the city provided a host of activities, including theatre, music, professional sports, and ethnic dining. At one point I happened to stroll by PNC Park, home of the Pittsburgh Pirates, which sits on the banks of the Allegheny River. It offered beautiful views of the city's skyline, and would appear to be well worth the visit.

All in all the trip was an enjoyable one. It's always fun to visit a new city, and Pittsburgh definitely did not disappoint.

1 Comments:

At 8:42 PM, Blogger Lewis said...

Sounds like a great conference experience. What was your presentation about?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home